Abilify is the brand name of Aripiprazole and it is an antipsychotic medicine. A number of medications are available that are used to treat mental disorders but the best and most trusted drug used in medical settings against mental problems is Abilify.
Here is the list of some features or aspects of this certain drug that we are going to discuss in this article:
THINGS TO BE DISCUSSED:
- What is Abilify?
- How does qualification work?
- Mode of action
- Side effects
What is Abilify?
Abilify also available as a generic version named Aripiprazole is the most commonly used around the world. It’s used to cure mental disorders or depression etc.
Abilify also called second generation antipsychotic is a typical antipsychotic used to treat bipolar disorder or mood disorder, schizophrenia and autistic disorder.
Abilify proves effective for depression when combined with other certain medications. This wonder drug helps your thinking grow positively and improves your concentration.
It also decreases hallucinations and controls regular or frequent mood swings.
How does Abilify work?
Abilify works inside the brain and activates or reinforces the level of certain chemicals in the brain and improves your mental health.
It balances dopamine and serotonin which results in improving thinking, behavior and mood. In short it treats schizophrenia by working in the brain.
- Take as directed by your healthcare provider as your doctor is your best instructor.
- Take orally with or without meals.
- Doctors usually recommend swallowing it whole without chewing.
- Start taking the lower dose first and then increase the dosage according to your response to medication.
- Read and follow instructions written on the package carefully.
Mode of action:
Results of abilify vary from person to person and it usually takes some days to work. It may take 4-6 hours to start helping you.
Negative side effects:
Like any other medication, abilify also carries some side effects along with benefits. It may leave unwanted side effects on the health of patients when used against directions or given instructions.
Chances of benefits of using any medication are usually greater than side effects and this is the reason that doctors prescribe those medications to you.
But when you go against directions, any medication can hurt you. Here is the list of possible side effects of abilify:
- Weight gain
- Blurred vision
It may also cause serious side effects on the patient such as:
- Swallowing problems
- Mood swings
- Low sex drive
- Muscle ache
- Take if and only when prescribed.
- Never increase or decrease the dose on your own without consulting your doctor.
- Overdose may cause serious side effects.
- Long term use may be habit forming.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medication.
- Pregnant children and patients with other diseases should consult a doctor before taking abilify.
- Keep out of the reach of children
- Store at a moderate room temperature.