What is Cholesterol:

Cholesterol is a waxy substance present in each cell of a human body. It helps in maintaining hormones and vitamins in the body.

It is not a bad substance as it is considered to be. It helps maintain the cells, but when it is produced in excess, it can lead to heart diseases.

Increased levels of cholesterol in the blood lead to fat deposit in the arteries that can burst any time causing blood clots. These blood clots can further lead to heart attack.

How does it work?

Our liver produces 80% of the required cholesterol in our body. The remaining 20% can be supplemented with foods such as dairy and protein.

Our liver has a mechanism to create extra cholesterol if the daily dietary cholesterol level increases.

It means that if you’re taking more than the 20% requirement, your liver will produce much more than the 80% it produces, leaving the excessive cholesterol to circulate in the bloodstream.

There are five types of cholesterol in the bloodstream out of which the most famous are LDL and HDL.

If the low density lipoproteins (LDL) get in excess, it is BAD for health.

On the other hand, high density lipoproteins (HDL) are good for health because they carry fat from the bloodstream to the liver and excrete it out. Other than that, they work against other types of cholesterol so that it cannot clog in the arteries.

How bad is high cholesterol level?

A high cholesterol level can lead to clogged arteries. It can go unnoticed until you order a blood test for cholesterol level.

There’s no apparent symptom of high cholesterol level.

Too much time with a high cholesterol level will ultimately lead to completely blocked arteries that can cause a heart attack at any point.

The optimum level of cholesterol in the bloodstream should be under 200.

How to maintain cholesterol level?

A dietary change can always have a positive change in the cholesterol level.

Switching from fatty, animal based foods to plant based foods can help reduce the blood cholesterol level.

There are some food groups to be completely avoided when you’re maintaining your cholesterol levels.

These include processed foods and junk.

Tran’s fats that are present in the hydrogenated oils should be avoided.

Trans fats containing foods usually are baked, store bought items such as cookies and cakes.

The substitutes should include low trans-fat, high omega 3 food.

Soluble fiber and whey protein also help reduce the cholesterol level.

Other than the dietary changes, working out at least thrice a week for 40 minutes can help balance the excessive cholesterol.

Conclusion:

A naturally occurring substance in our bodies is usually not harmful, but excess of any substance in the body leads to harmful results.

It is important to watch what we eat and maintain a healthy lifestyle by incorporating workout in our routine.

Healthy eating and workout are not only for maintaining cholesterol levels but also for keeping the body alive and healthy.