Infectious diseases can affect large chunks of world population. With a degrading quality of life and declining health conditions, the omnipotent bacteria can easily cause diseases.
To cure such diseases, we have medicines that are known as antibiotics. Among this class of medicines, one is called Clarithromycin that is sold under the brand name Biaxin. It can cure many bacterial diseases such as pneumonia, and some skin infections. It is particularly used to treat stomach ulcers caused by a bacterium known as H. Pylori.
The medicine Clarithromycin is used orally to cure pneumonia, skin infections such as cellulitis, some chest infections, and as a combination drug to cure stomach ulcers.
The medicine has two forms. One is the tablet form, while the other is liquid. The medication route is only oral though.
You can take the prescribed amount of the medicine with or without food. However, if you experience an upset stomach, take it after having your meal.
Since antibiotics are time-sensitive, make sure to take clarithromycin’s two doses spaced at an interval of 12 hours.
Another important consideration of use is not to quit it abruptly. This can cause the infection to relapse. Always go for a course as prescribed by your doctor.
The dosage ranges from 250 mg to 500 mg per day, depending on the disease for which Clarithromycin is prescribed.
The dosage duration is 7-14 days, taken orally for both adults and children.
The suspension can have two concentrations. 125 mg/ 5ml or 250 mg/ 5 ml depending on the weight of the child.
The normal tablets are prescribed twice a day with a gap of 12 hours while the extended release tablets having a potency of 1000 mg is usually prescribed only once a day.
It is important to check the dosage for different bacterial diseases, and strictly follow your doctor’s advice.
The most common side effects to this medicine include:
- Change in taste
- Gastric pain
These are common side effects that do not require immediate medical attention. However, see a doctor immediately if you experience any of the following side effects:
- Tightening of the chest
- Having facial swelling such as swelling on the tongue or tightening of the neck muscles.
- Bruising or peeling skin
- Abnormally dark urine or pale skin
- Discuss with your doctor if you’re pregnant or planning to conceive in case of getting prescribed with this medicine.
- If you’re on a treatment for a skin disease, look for any abnormal effect such as peeling, blistering or rashes on the skin.
This may be an allergic reaction to the medicine.
- Immediately seek medical help if you experience chest pain, neck tightening or swelling of the tongue; this may be a fatal reaction known as anaphylaxis to the medicine
- Do not ignore pale stools or dark urine or even pale skin color while using the medicine.
- These can be symptoms of a hepatic reaction. Always complete the prescribed course of the medicine even if you feel that you’re fine.