Unique microorganisms called bacteria have a variety of beneficial functions to perform in the body. Though some bacteria are good for the human body, many of them may prove harmful to the body.
Bacterial infections may cause cholera, dysentery, pneumonia, bubonic plague, typhoid and tuberculosis (TB) etc. In short, bacterial infections play a key role in the lives and deaths of humans.
When the body is exposed to bacteria that it’s not familiar with, the immune system attacks them. These small microorganisms are not visible with the naked eye. They are everywhere, both inside and outside the body. Some of them are good for us, while others can make us sick.
Here in this particular article, the product under discussion is clindamycin. Clindamycin is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections . Let’s list out basic aspects of clindamycin that we are going to discuss in this article:
- How clindamycin works?
- Side effects
- Precautionary measures
How clindamycin works?
Clindamycin is an antibiotic that works effectively by stopping growth of bacteria that are harmful to the body. The drug works only against bacterial infections like cold and flu etc. Using an antibiotic when not needed can cause serious side effects on one’s health.
Clindamycin is available in different forms and dosage usually depends on which form you are taking. It is available in both gel and tablet form. If you are taking it in tablet form take it by mouth with or without food thrice a day.
The dosage also depends on the medical condition of the patient and his response to the medicine.
- Take it as directed by the doctor.
- Take with a glass of water unless your doctor directs you otherwise.
- Don’t lie down at least 10 minutes after taking the medication.
- In children dosage depends on weight.
- Take every dose at the same time every day.
- Follow instructions of your healthcare provider carefully.
Overdose can lead to serious health disorder. If someone is overdosed and having trouble in breathing contact your doctor and ask for immediate help.
Never miss a dose and if you do so take the medicine as soon as you remember. Don’t double the dose if you have missed one. Skip the dose when it’s time for the next dose.
Always remember that your doctor has recommended you the drug because he thought that the benefits of the drug are more than risks. There are lower cases of side effects and side effects occur only when one goes against doctor’s instructions.
When used against directions, clindamycin may leave following side effects on one’s health:
- Overdose may cause breathing issues.
- Allergic reactions
- If used for long term it may prove habit forming.
- Use exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Never use longer than prescribed.
- If it’s not working for you, switch to some other medication.
- Don’t share with others.
- Patients with allergic reactions should consult a doctor before using this drug.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store at a moderate room temperature.