We often ignore normal or mild regular pain without being diagnosed. But regular pain shouldn’t be ignored as it may get worse and turn into chronic pain. Chronic pain is different and can hurt you for a long time.
Does your body keep you hurting for days, weeks or months? Are you fed up with several medications that don’t even work for you?
Get relaxed as we have good news for you. In this article we are going to discuss different aspects of a painkiller or pain reliever which works as a wonder drug called dilaudid.
THINGS TO BE DISCUSSED:
- What is dilaudid?
- How dilaudid works?
- Mode of action
- Side effects
- Safety precautions
What is dilaudid?
Dilaudid is the brand name of hydromorphone or dihydromorphinone is classed under the family of drugs called opioid analgesics (primarily used for pain relief).
How Dilaudid works?
It works inside the brain and changes the reaction of the body and brain towards pain by blocking the pain signals to the central nervous system.
As a result, the body feels relaxed and sleepy. In this way dilaudid relaxes the brain and gives pain relief.
Dilaudid is used to treat moderate to severe pain. It’s typically recommended only for cancer pain. But it can also cure chronic or other serious long lasting pain.
Dilaudid is usually used or suggested by health care providers where pain is serious or severe enough to require an opioid analgesic.
Dilaudid is available both in tablet and injected form. Dosage usually depends on which form you are taking. Your doctor is the best person to recommend the exact dose of the medication to you.
- Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take with or without food or as recommended by your doctor.
- If you are using it in liquid form carefully measure the dose.
- Don’t use a household spoon to measure the dose.
- Shake well before using or taking a dose.
- It may be used by mouth or injected into the vein or muscle.
Mode of action:
Dilaudid starts working within 15-30 minutes. It may start working within seconds when used in injected form.
Dilaudid is all safe when used according to instructions given by your physician. But when used against directions it may leave negative side effects on one’s health.
Here is a list of side effect which may occur if it’s misused:
- Muscle ache
- Mood swings
- Breathing troubles
- Watering eyes
- Never use on your own without consulting your doctor.
- Never share any medicine with others.
- Don’t take longer than prescribed.
- Long term use may cause addiction.
- Don’t start or stop using medication as it may cause withdrawal symptoms.
- Pregnant women or patients with serious diseases shouldn’t use it without the opinion of the doctor.
- Patients with allergic reactions shouldn’t use it.
- Quit the use if serious side effects appear.
- Keep out of the reach of children.