Do you know about seizures or epilepsy? If you are here to look out for a medication that may help you treat seizures then you must be aware of this certain condition and if not, let us explain it to you.
A seizure is a health disorder that causes a sudden change in behavior or movement and it may result in loss of consciousness and two or more provoked seizures are termed as epilepsy.
A single seizure that lasts more than 4-5 minutes is a medical emergency because it can cause serious side effects on your health and may lead one to stroke or death as well. It’s better to eradicate the root cause of this unhealthy condition as it’s life threatening.
Here for a best designed medication against seizure or epilepsy? Well, you are at the right place. Stiripentol sold under brand name Diacomit is the most commonly used FDA approved medication especially used for the treatment of seizure or epilepsy.
Here are some certain aspects of Diacomit that are under discussion in this particular article:
THINGS TO BE DISCUSSED:
- WHAT IS DIACOMIT AND WHAT IT’S USED FOR?
- DOSAGE OF DIACOMIT
- HOW DIACOMIT WORKS?
- MODE OF ACTION OF DIACOMIT
- SIDE EFFECTS OF DIACOMIT
- SAFETY MEASURES
What is Diacomit and what is it used for?
Diacomit or stiripentol is an anticonvulsant recommended for the treatment of seizure in patients with Dravet syndrome (epilepsy that begins in infancy or early age) having 2 years of age.
It gives effective and better results when combined with clobazam in people 2 years or older.
Dosage of Diacomit
The recommended dose of Diacomit is 50mg per day. The doctor may recommend the dose according to your medical condition and response to the treatment.
Start taking the lower dose first and increase the dose after consulting your doctor if the lower dose doesn’t work for you. Don’t exceed the dose 3000mg a day.
- Take with a glass of water during the meal.
- Don’t use longer than prescribed.
- Don’t crush or half the tablet into two.
- Swallow the whole capsule or take after mixing in water.
How does Diacomit work?
Diacomit may take a few days to work. Use a combination of clobazam for better results.
Side Effects of Diacomit
- Somnolence (strong desire of sleeping or sleeping for unusually long periods)
- Decreased appetite
- Decreased weight
- Withdrawal symptoms
- Risk for patients with phenylketonuria
- Suicidal thoughts
- Unusual behavior
- Use if and only when prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- Don’t share with others.
- Diacomit can prove risky for patients with phenylketonuria.
- Diacomit can increase the risk of impulsive or odd behavior and suicidal thoughts.
- Don’t break or half the capsule any way.
- Use after mixing in a glass of water or swallow whole with a glass of water during a meal.
- Don’t miss the dose and in case of missing it take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
- Don’t stop taking the medication suddenly without informing your doctor as withdrawal symptoms may appear.
- Keep away from children.
- Store at a moderate room temperature.