Xanax is actually the brand name of Alprazolam, which belongs to a group of drugs called benzodiazepine. Alprazolam is also sold under other brand names, but Xanax is for sure the most popular among all of them.
It’s strictly a prescription drug, approved by the FDA and it cannot be used without prescription from your doctor.
When should it be used?
Xanax is used to treat anxiety disorders in the short term. It is also used to treat panic disorders as well. It also helps with depression and other mental illnesses.
All in all, if you are having issues with your mental health then Xanax is surely going to be a drug for you.
Mode of action of Xanax
As it belongs to the benzodiazepine group, it is also known as CNS depressants.
Xanax basically works by slowing down the activities going on in our Central Nervous System (CNS).
The main components of the CNS which bring about all its functions are the neurotransmitters. These are the chemical messengers present in our brain, responsible for all kinds of communication throughout our body. Xanax stimulates the production of an inhibiting neurotransmitter present in our CNS called GABA, which is responsible for making a person feel relaxed and calm.
So Xanax basically stimulates that and helps the person to feel relaxed and comfortable.
Precautions before using Xanax:
- Most of the medicines have an Active pharmaceutical ingredient and an Inactive pharmaceutical ingredient. Before you start your medication with Xanax, you need to know whether you are allergic to any of those inactive pharmaceutical ingredients or not. If you are allergic to any inactive pharmaceutical ingredient, then you should not start the medication.
- Studies have shown that Xanax can actually have a negative impact on your health if it is used in combination with some drugs like ketoconazole or Itraconazole.
- If you are suffering from Glaucoma, you should tell your doctor about it. He may not have prescribed Xanax to you in this case.
- You should always share with your doctor if you are Alcoholic or if you smoke cigarettes.
- Don’t shy away from telling your doctor about having a history of kidney or lung disease.
Apart from these few factors, there are other factors as well that should always be discussed with your doctor, so that he has complete knowledge about whether he should prescribe you Xanax or not.
Two things are always going to be constant. One is rising from the east and the second is Anti-anxiety pills having side effects if you do not use it properly or do not take some requisite precautions.
These side effects may commonly occur after using Xanax, but they may be dangerous if they’re severe and persist for a long time:
- The person can feel Nausea.
- Sleepiness is another side effect.
- Irritation can be felt.
- Pain in joints
- Concentration issues
- Increased salivation
All in all, we can say that Xanax should never be taken without the prescription of a doctor and guidelines should always be followed.